Sunday, May 29, 2011

The cookie caper

Okay readers, I will have to confess that my will power has been put to the test during this week's 40 and Fabulous weight-loss journey.  With so many end-of-year school activities that consists of goodies of all sorts, it's been difficult staying on track to say the least.

However, I followed what I ate and was true to recording the good and the bad stuff. What saved me from myself was staying on track with my exercise regime.

As I type these words, a pack of Costco's gigantic chocolate chip cookies sit on my counter. They are left over from a Girl Scout Ceremony held at my house few days ago. I have no problem eating a healthy and balanced meal at every sitting, but sweets are my weakness.

However, the Costco cookies were no match for the Girl Scouts' Samoas, which I thought I was rid of thanks to my son, who pulled off the most successful cookie caper of all times a few months back.


Many of you, who have been on the receiving end of my daughter's sales pitch know that she participates in the annual Girl Scout cookie fundraiser, which always results in me purchasing a case or two to send to her dad and other deployed friends.

And for past three or four years he has been deployed during this time. So we mail some, because it is always a moral booster for the troops. We freeze some, because you can only get them once a year. And of course, we eat some. Here lies my problem.

Remember that weight-loss program through my doctor's office that I told you about? I did not have to follow a strict diet, but it required me eat specific servings of fat, protein, carbs and so on at every meal while staying within my caloric intake.

Every two weeks I go for a weigh in at my doctor's office. They have this special equipment that breaks down how much muscle I have gained and how much fat I lost. It gives me a computer printout with a chart that shows my progress from start to finish.

I dropped 11 lbs. the first month of doing this. It was so easy. I even lost during Christmas time. Who loses weight during Christmas? Me!!

I was on a losing streak until Girl Scout cookie season began. The print out did not lie. I recall explaining how the system worked to hubby after he returned from deployment last year. He noticed the peaks on the chart and asked "What happened here in this January/February time frame," where clearly there was a dramatic rise in fat gain? I could only respond with "It was Girl Scout cookie season." He laughed and understood.

This year I didn't even get opportunity to claim my fat gain from Girl Scout cookies because the boy genius beat me to it. He single-handily pulled off the most successful cookie caper of all time. Over a two-month period, he sneaked and consumed 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies; eight boxes of Samoas and two Tagalongs. He was just two boxes shy of completing a case. He was well on his way to doing so had he not gotten caught.

The boy genius is not a big junk food eater, so what would possessed him to resort to sneaking and hiding the cookies? I can only chalk it up to a variety of things.

About a year ago, he was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The ADHD I have always suspected, but the OCD threw me for a loop. From the time he was three I would ask his doctors, childcare providers and even school teachers about his behavior, but the frequent responses were "He's a boy," and "he's acting out because his dad is deployed."

After a while, I questioned my own sanity and whether or not I was one of those parents who was determined to find something wrong with my child. Imagine the relief I felt when someone finally listened. I also felt sad for my son because he had suffered for so long without getting the support he needed.

After much agony on how to proceed with this information, his father and I decided to medicate and change his diet to gluten-free. After a series of trial and error medications, we found one that we liked because this particular one did not suppress his appetite. One of the side effects to ADHD stimulant medicine is the loss of appetite, which was not a good thing for my barely 40-lb. eight year old.

For a short while, things were good. He was doing well in school and there was little to no behavioral problems. He was not too happy with the gluten-free diet at first, but he finally adjusted without much complaint.

His diagnosis affected the entire family. It made us think a lot about what we ate, where we ate and how to incorporate these changes into our daily lives without too much disruption. It was difficult and expensive. I stocked up on coupons for gluten-free products and switched to soy milk.

At first the boy genius felt left out whenever there was a party at school and he was not allowed to eat the same treats. I learned to coordinate with his teacher ahead of time to find a gluten-free brownie or chocolate chip cookie mix to make sure he had the same as the other kids.

Just as we had this diet thing down pat, the meds started to go off kilter. His body absorbed the stimulant so quickly that it wore off within a few weeks time. The doctor kept increasing the dosage, despite my protests.


Another side effect was not being able to sleep at night. It was like having an infant in the house again. Long story short, during his many nights of being awake and wondering around the house, he would finally get hungry. I started keeping little things like crackers and cheese, granola bars and peanut butter crackers in a snack jar for him to munch on.

But unbeknownst to me, he had graduated into something much bigger like the secret stash of Girl Scout cookies I had hidden in the deep freezer for hubby and his coworkers.

The time to mail them off had come and gone by the time cookie season kicked off. Samoas and Tagalongs are hubby's favorites, so I loaded up on those with plans to hand deliver them and the kids to Hawaii myself.  The kids were riding the ship back home with hubby and I stayed a few extra days for some much needed R&R. He, the kids and his coworkers could enjoy them on their way back to home port.

During my stay in Hawaii, I made the decision to take him off the meds because of the drastic changes in his behavior. I was awaiting the arrival of hubby to provide support to overrule the doctor's decision, to yet again increase the dosage even higher. There were a host of strange behaviors, which I will save for another post.

At night, long after dinner was put away and I was fast asleep, boy genius would help himself to a pack of Girl Scout cookies. One Sunday morning I woke up to the smell of Samoas on his breath, but he denied, denied, denied that he had eaten cookies for breakfast. This stretched out over a period of six weeks.

Because there was so much trading going on between myself and the other moms, I didn't notice that the stash of only the Samoas and Tags drastically disappearing. I just figured I didn't buy as much as I thought and would trade out for more.

I never suspected boy genius of eating them because he never showed an interest in the chocolate cookies. His favorite are the lemon because "No one wants the lemon cookies," he said, whenever we would make our door-to-door cookie sale rounds.

It wasn't until two days after hubby returned from deployment, with the kids in tow, that we discovered the remnants of his cookie caper - empty boxes strategically hidden under his bed. It was a wake up call for us all on just how serious the situation had gotten.

I didn't know whether to be mad that he had cleaned me out of all of the chocolate cookies and that I didn't discover it until one week after cookie season ended. There was no way to replace what he had eaten.

Or, be mad at the fact that he ate them all by his lonesome and didn't gain a pound. Had it been me, it would have certainly showed on the chart. With my luck, it would have gone off the paper and broke the computer.

For weeks, just the mention of Girl Scout cookies left me bitter and brought of memories of a difficult time in our journey with his diagnosis. Although the medicine was the catalyst for his strange behavior, we still had to teach him that there are consequences for his actions. He had to pay for the cookies that he ate; $40 bucks worth. Lucky for him it was his birthday month, so he had the money to cover his expenses.

The other day hubby and I were cleaning out the garage and an unopened box of Samoas fell from a box of items I had set aside for a garage sale. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. It was a blast from the past. The Costco cookies sitting on my counter paled in comparison to the Samoas that literally fell into my lap.

Instead of getting angry, we both laughed at the irony of it all. I had just committed myself to backing off the sweets and losing 40 lbs. and out falls a box of Samoas. If that wasn't a test of my will power, I don't know what is. I tossed it in the deep freezer and continued with the cleanup.

Being able to laugh about the Great Cookie Caper showed just how far we had come in the three short months since this all happened. Experts say laughter is great medicine during times of stress. I would agree with that assessment.

I ended this week's journey without a pound loss, but at least a pound gained in life's lessons and healing. Remember, my Journey to 40 and Fabulous is not just about losing weight, but about the mind, body and spirit. I realized I have to let go of the past in order to move forward in the future. Happy following and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Stay strong, mama! You are such an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete