Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 1 of 40 and Fab

The Morning After
It’s day one of my 40 and Fabulous journey and I woke up feeling a sense of emotional exhaustion. The panic for what I had done 24 hours earlier set in. “Why on earth did I do that?” I thought as I crawled out of bed to wake up my munchkins.

I am exhausted but I can’t even get back into bed because yesterday I was on some sort of high that provoked me to confess to the world, well, a bunch of people that I am going to lose weight, and I am going to do it by the end of the year.

I even preempted the declaration with this embarrassing story of how I came to this insane decision to put my mind, body and spirit through hell.

What was I thinking? I didn’t even have a plan on how I was going do it. I just made the plan all willy nilly like I was some sort of Jedi Knight. “Nicole, you will lose 40 lbs by Dec. 29th” in my best James Earl Jones voice.

What’s even worse, people actually responded. I got this amazing outpouring of support from my friends saying that they too were in a rut and that I had inspired them to jump on the 40 and Fab bandwagon. I even had a friend call me to ask what is my game plan because she and her husband had been motivated to get their “sexy back.”

Now I’ve gone and done it! I’ve got all of my friends encouraging and supporting me on one of the toughest journeys in my life, and it’s on public blast for all to see. This is certainly not like when I signed up to run that half marathon and sent out letters to everyone asking for their support. It didn’t even matter if I actually ran the whole way; who was going to knock me for raising money for cancer research?

People are actually going to be following my progress and holding me accountable. Some friends have even proclaimed me as their leader. What’s my goal again? Oh, wait! To win, by losing.

Well, what’s done is done now. There’s no turning back. I guess I could run or maybe hit a Zumba class today. But it’s raining outside. It don’t want to catch a cold. If I catch a cold, I will be laid up a couple of days and that will delay my program. I certainly don’t want that to happen.

That settles it! I will do Zumba in the morning and then go for a brisk walk or short run in the evening with the family

I am in the zone now. I pulled out my old weight-loss management program from my doctor and did what I needed to do. I had a cup of peach yogurt and a small red apple. This is so easy, I thought. Now on to Zumba.
 

The Daily Wrap Up

Zumba kicked my butt. I truly thought I was going to throw up. It must have been all of the salt and pepper chicken wings from Mandarin that I ate for dinner last night as part of my last hoorah.
Let’s be clear. This is not going to be a diet! It’s about making better choices. It’s a lifestyle change and I will not deprive myself.

Who am I kidding? If it was as easy as it sounds, I wouldn’t be in this predicament. So for now, I will say goodbye to the oh so yummy salt and pepper wings.

I am proud to say that I survived day one of my journey and I have all of you to thank. Not one of you hesitated to throw your support my way. You'll be happy to know that I ended my day not with a brisk walk, but an hour-long session of playing Just Dance 2 on the Wii.

As far as I am concerned, it was a win/win. I spent quality time with the family and I burned calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment